Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Women and men

Well, I had an interesting experience last night.

I was at UWC (University of the Western Cape). I often visit US (University of Stellenbosch) and have to visit the bathroom (obviously) every now and then.

In Stellenbosch's bathrooms, there are all kinds of graffiti, but mostly about guys wanting to arrange a "meeting", and just writing rude stuff in general. (There are also those who want to convert the others by writing things like "You'll have to attone for you actions" etc.

Anyway, so I was in the UWC library (a fairly impressive library, beautiful architechture, filled with staircases passageways) and I got to the very top level about 6 stories high. There in the very corner is a male bathroom, which I entered.

Needless to say it was filled with rude graffiti, but interestingly some of the graffiti was made with a lighter against the roof. (Don't these people know that paint are flamable?) Then one story down, was a female bathroom. This was at the edge of the library, so I felt it safe, and I wanted to know... I entered the female bathroom and found .... not one scratch. The place was fine, not even a "My boyfriend is bigger than your's" comment.

Now I ask myself, what are men's issues? Why do they need to write stuff on the walls? What makes us do these stuff?

Even I have graffitied on a bathroom door. (I made a circle and wrote: "Graffiti Here:")

I don't know, and I doubt I'll ever know. Women are hard to understand, and men generally make sense... but this is just beyond me.

2 comments:

Lexi said...

i think uwc's bathroom had just been painted cos in my experiences there is always some graffiti in womans bathrooms as well

Spook said...

I think it just depends on where you are. I've certainly seen a fair bit of graffiti in women's bathrooms in the past - honestly, they're just as filthy as men are when they want to be.