Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A quick review of Firefox 3.0

Well... I think it's... very much like the old one.

The look and feel has been changed a little, but not enough to make me feel uncomfortable with it, and also not enough to say it's a huge improvement. So

Look and feel : Still very good, +1 on the old one.

Size of download : Chunkier, so -2 on that. I liked the fact that firefox 2 was still small and lightweight. Firefox 3 is almost 8mb.

Ease of installation : Very easy... Just as any normal windows application. +0 (the old firefox was just as easy)

Ease of porting from old Firefox : Very easy... +2 (technically porting from the old Firefox is so easy you don't have to do it... but it gets +2 brownie points for getting all my addons for Firefox 3 (those that weren't compatible already)

So quick review...
+3 vs Firefox 2.
+8 (it should be a horizontal 8) vs IE.

2 comments:

Reenen said...

Ok... Another neat feature...

When you close with multiple tabs open (maybe it does it with 1 too), it can optionally save those tabs so that they reopen when you run firefox again. Another +1 there!

I find though that it takes longer to load than v2 (but I think that is because of the way windows do stuff for apps that runs a lot, and it hasn't done it for v3 yet...) so that's -1 for windows XP! :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that my add-ons are being version 3-afied as rapidly as they are. +1 open source community.