Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Real Life Spammers...

I got a SPAM email today from Glenrand M-I-B... Except that it wasn't from them...

from: By Design
reply-to: postman@housemail.co.za
to: xxxxx@gmail.com (I removed my email here to reduce my possibility of SPAM in future)
date: Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 9:51 AM
subject: Policyholders reminder: get building cover at a premium rate
mailed-by: kscope.mcentre.co.za

I have a policy at Glenrand (my car is insured there), and I haven't had any problems with them. So they are reputable... more so than AIG I guess. :-)

Anyway, so I send them an email saying that these people are emailing from no-where, and it's the first time I've received such a SPAM email from them... and the fact that it's not sent by an email address at "glenrandmib.co.za" really reduces the authenticity of the email.

Also, the spammers has added a lot of their own detail to the mail (which makes it better I guess?) Colleen@kscope.co.za... but also a telephone number! So I phoned Colleen at 021-462-2291. Asked her how she got hold of my email addy... She asked if it was the first time I've received any emails from them, and I replied yes, and wanted to know where she got my email addy.

Well, she said they either got it from their "client" or from a website... My email is available in the world... but that still doesn't give you the right to just SPAM me...

What worries me though is the fact that I have a policy with glenrand, so they have a bit more information about me than they legally should have... and that's not cool.

www.kscope.co.za believes they give a special service... but in my honest opinion, it's just spam...

A quote from their website:
"Step 1: We find new clients for you by creating an email database of 10 000 prospects specifically for your products and services using international search engines. We have specific software that selects the prospects in your market. Your database of 10 000 new prospective clients could be local, national or international."

No comments: